The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following.
Unacceptable clothing and accessories include:
• Spandex-binding shorts or pants, tights, boxer shorts, wind shorts
• Shorts, skorts, dresses or skirts shorter than 6 inches above mid-knee
• Extremely short shirts, halter-tops, tank tops, strapless or spaghetti-strap tops, other clothing with deep-cut openings or that does not cover the shoulders, midriff and lower back
• Sheer or see-through clothing alone or over other unacceptable clothing
• Clothing that reveals undergarments or has holes, rips, tears in inappropriate places
• Oversized or excessively baggy jeans, shorts, or pants, including those that do not fit appropriately at the waist or crotch
• Oversized or excessively baggy or long shirts worn out, including athletic jerseys and “tall tees” (Any shirts that go past the buttocks must be tucked in.)
• Pants or shorts worn below the waist
• Tight-fitting or revealing clothing (Clothes should be of the appropriate size.)
• Duster coats or trench coats
• Shoes which have steel toes, cleats, taps or wheels.
• Hats, caps or any type of head covering on campus during the school day
• Clothing, accessories or visible tattoos with reference or innuendo to alcohol, drugs, sex, tobacco, racism, obscenity, violence, gore, death, skulls, Satan, gang-related affiliation, or other symbols that detract from the learning environment
• Gang-related attire (including but not limited to colors, bandanas, shoelaces, symbols)
• Bedroom/lounging attire (pajamas, slippers, house shoes, etc.)
• Dark glasses unless prescribed by a physician (physician’s note required)
• Contact lenses which are patterned or an unnatural color
• Studded or spiked gloves and jewelry including wallet chains, jewelry with sharp-pointed or round marble-sized objects, spikes, and/or chains (i.e., 1/4” link) of any type. This also includes, but is not limited to, safety pins, fishhooks, straight pins, etc. Note: These items will not be worn outside clothing or allowed on backpacks.
• Body piercing jewelry (excluding the ear) including the tongue/face jewelry, lips, chin, eyebrow, nose, belly rings. Note: Covering body piercing jewelry with bandage strips or tape is not acceptable
• Hair that is not a natural human color (green, blue, pink, etc.) or that is an outlandish style (including, but not limited to, mohawks and swirly or decorative patterns or symbols shaved into the hair), which may cause disruption to the learning environment
• Dental grills (“grillz”)
• All students must keep tattoos covered at all times.
Note: If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student will be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until the problem is corrected, or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school.
Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
*Please note that this list may be updated in the Student Handbook to be distributed after the first day of school.
1221 E. Kingsbury | Seguin, Texas 78155 | Phone: (830) 401-8600 | Fax: (830) 379-0392 • Privacy Statement • © 2006-2016 Seguin Independent School District